This brief note has been written to give parents of children attending our school an overview of the role of the Board of Management.
What does the Board of Management do?
Under Section 15(1) of the 1998 Education Act it is the duty of the Board of Management to manage the school on behalf of and in cooperation with the patron (Louth & Meath Education and Training Board (LMETB)) and for the benefit of students and their parents and to provide or cause to be provided an appropriate education for each student. The principal is responsible for the day-to-day management of the school and is accountable to the Board of Management/ETB.
In carrying out its functions the Board of Management shall:
• Adopt the educational plan within approved resources in each year
• Act in accordance with the policies of the Minister and ETB
• Uphold the characteristic spirit of the school
• Consult and keep the patron informed of decisions and proposals
• Publish the policy of the school concerning admission, participation, expulsion and suspension
• Have regard to the principals and requirements of a democratic society
• Have regard to the efficient use of resources
• Use resources provided to make reasonable provision for students with a disability or other special educational needs
• In consultation with the Principal and subject to regulations be responsible for carrying out minor repairs and for the choice and replacement of books, stationery, furniture and other materials. The Board may delegate their functions in this regard to the Principal subject to such conditions as they may think appropriate
• Prepare a Code of Behaviour for students
How often does the Board of Management meet?
The Board of Management is required to meet at least five times during the school year.
Are nominees acting as representatives?
No, they are nominated to the board to ensure that the board is open to views from all sectors of the school community, not to act as representatives. Decisions taken by the board should reflect the views of the board members nominated by parents, staff, the patron and the wider community within the school’s catchment area. Board members have an overriding responsibility to act ethically and in the best interest of the school and its students at all times. The board makes its decisions collectively, members are bound by collective decision making and the board is accountable to the patron for its decisions.
Confidentiality is required in respect of the business of a board of management and no public disclosure of the business of a board may be made without the authority of that board. As a matter of good practice, a board may decide to issue an agreed report of board meetings to the parents and staff of the school/college.
Communication by Board of Management
All communication on behalf of the Board of Management is carried out by the Secretary of the Board, who is the Principal. Queries received by individual board members regarding Board matters should be referred to the Principal.
How do I contact the Board of Management?
All correspondence with the Board of Management is to be addressed to the Secretary of the Board, who is the Principal. Correspondence for the Board is not to be addressed to individual Board members.
If I have a complaint about the school, can I send that complaint to the Board of Management?
Your complaint may eventually come to the attention of the board. However, all complaints are dealt with in accordance with the school’s complaints procedure. Each school has a complaints procedure which is available from the policies section of the school website. This policy has been developed in order to ensure that all complaints are dealt with in a fair and efficient manner. All complaints should be directed, in the first instance, to your child’s class teacher.
Dunshaughlin Community College Board of Management 2019-2024
Chairperson to the Board of Management: Mr. Bill Sweeney
Secretary to the Board of Management: Mr. Shane Foley (Principal)
ETB nominees: Cllr. Damien O'Reilly, Cllr. Deirdre Geraghty-Smith, Ms. Karen Tobin
Teacher nominees: Mr. Brian Walsh and Ms. Michelle Byrne
Parent nominees: Mrs. Roberta Gallagher and Mr. Dane Mc Govern
Community nominees: TBC